Saturday, November 9, 2013

Week 7: Unexpected Role Models

Those of you who know me, or read  my blog, will know that I love me a good TED talk. I love finding new TED talks that inspire me to do new things or give me new perspective on things I am already doing, or make me see things in a new light. I also like getting my daily inspiration on Instagram from Simon Sinek, and reading all of those "12 things happy people do differently" posts, but most of all I like finding inspiration and role models in the most surprising places.



A few months ago Ashton Kutcher accepted a teen choice award and surprised the world with the amazingly inspirational speech he gave. The video went viral the next few days because no one expected him to give amazing advice and perspective on  the things he had learned. In short, his words of wisdom were: opportunity looks a lot like hard work, the sexiest thing in the entire world is being really smart thoughtful and generous, and build a life instead of living one. If you haven't watched the original video, watch it here.

Earlier this week Ashton was on Ellen talking about this speech and how it was an opportunity for him to be honest, and to help break through the propaganda so that kids want to grow wanting to do something and be someone instead of just wanting to be famous. I agree with Ashton that this new generation of entitlement is an unhealthy one, and that "working hard, and being generous and thoughtful and smart is a path to a better life".

Ashton could have gotten up there and said the same old crap that other actors do in acceptance speeches, but instead he chose to say something meaningful and powerful and for that I am thankful. I am thankful that there are people out there who understand what being a role model is and and appreciate what is really important. Check out Ellen's interview with Ashton:


Who is your favourite unexpected role model?

Gratefully yours,

Jaime Ariella

No comments:

Post a Comment